Wednesday 3rd December 2008
COLLEGE CLOSURE - THURSDAY 4th DECEMBER 2008
Due to severe weather warnings the college will be closed tomorrow 4 December. It will be open as normal on Friday 5 December.
Monday 17th November 2008
MOON ROCK AND METEORITES LAND AT HOLY CROSS
Students and staff at Holy Cross were recently given the opportunity to study some very rare samples of rock brought back from the Moon during some of the later Apollo missions (Missions 15, 16 and 17). The samples were collected from several sites on the Moon's surface and were loaned to the Physics Department at Holy Cross by the Science and Technology Facilities Council. They requested a press embargo on the loan while the samples were on site as they are worth in excess of £35 million per kg the samples loaned to the college are insured for about £7 million! Clearly their replacement would not be a straight forward task.
Students had access to the soil, rock and dust samples and information about their particular history as well as a number of larger meteorite samples. The meteorites landed on Earth over a period of time including one which is thought to have originated from Mars, this is based on examination of the contents of the meteorite and a comparison of materials examined in recent tests of the planet's surface. It fell near Abu Hommos Alexandria Egypt on June 28th 1911 sadly vapourising a dog in the process.
Pictured with some of the samples are A2 Physics students Sharaz Hussain Matthew Howsham Jennifer Green and Hanah Anderson.
Wednesday 12th November 2008
ONE WORLD WEEK UPDATE
Thanks once again to everybody who supported One World Week.
We have managed to beat last years total and have raised £710. As is usual suggestions for charities to donate to that are of particular importance or poignancy to staff and students in college were requested. We will therefore be donating £118 to each of the following charities:
- Christopher Clarke Cancer Research Fund
- Williams Syndrome Foundation, The Leigh Carlisle Foundation, Motor Neurone Disease Association, Alzheimers Society
Wednesday 15th October 2008
We are currently receiving many applications with invalid e-mail addresses - this means that any activation e-mails will not be received by the applicant and are returned to the college as undeliverable. Could students applying for next September
Tuesday 14th October 2008
ONE WORLD WEEK
One World Week this year will run during the week beginning Monday 20th October.
This years theme is Growing Together.
Student volunteers will run lunch time workshops that give an insight into different cultures and encourage celebrating diversity.
- Library Ethical living display selling Fairtrade products and raffle tickets
- Health Studies lesson on culture
- Geography raising money to buy a goat through Farm Africa
- P.E. - Tai Chi American Basketball penalty shootout
- Sociology - lesson on culture
- Business Studies - lesson on Cafe Direct
- R.E. - Henna hand painting International Films Fairtrade stall food share lesson on diversity cake stall speakers
- MFL - taster workshops
- Physics - display on energy consumption
- General Studies - lesson on Asylum Seekers